Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

December 11, 2009

12-11-09 Day 33 Shannon

Last night's trail run was awesome! What can I say, I think I've found a new passion! To run on the trails in the dark is just cool! The neat thing was being able to look out toward the river and there be enough lighting to see how calm it was!


There were 6 of us hard-core FTR's out there last night with Bryan Tully, our fearless Assistant Organizer, leading the group. Everyone was up for the distance I needed to get in (4 miles) and they all just wanted to take it slow and easy. Which of course is my normal pace :)! They are all so sweet.


It was really cold to start. Standing around waiting to get started was the hardest part of the run last night! I was shivering so bad that my muscles started to ache, especially in my neck and shoulders, so I tried to relax my neck while we waited. Not easy when you're that cold. But once we got started, I loosened up and felt really comfortable. About a mile in I was able to take my gloves off.

At 2 miles we stopped for a breather and for a photo shoot! Here's me in total bliss (mostly because I get to take a breather - these guys and gals don't take walk breaks - HHHMMM):





Then we gathered for a group shot. Nicole took our group shot picture and we discovered that we had the Natoma Night Ghost with us (don't worry, he's trail runner friendly):


In this picture, from left to right, is Bruce, Shannon (me), Cathy, Joel & Bryan - oh and the Natoma Night Ghost (lovingly named by Bryan).

The run back was good, although, I did start losing ground on the front runners, however, the group kept me in the middle, and Cathy and Joel remained behind me to make sure I didn't get left behind. All I can say is FTR's rock! Trail runners are a different kind of running breed! I'm so glad I found Diane, creator of the Folsom Trail Runners, and trail running!

Today is a rest day and I'll be taking a quilt class at Meissner's. Then tomorrow is a nice easy 2 miles, which I'll do in my neighborhood. Sunday is 11.5 miles at the Folsom Lake Winter Trail Series at Beale's Point. I'm hoping the weather is just like it is right now, drizzly and muddy. I got my muddy trail running shoes all ready to go - woo hoo.

Get wet and dirty this weekend!


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME picture! Good job! I miss the Thursday night runs . . . I haven't done one since headlamps were required! HA Goodluck on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey those pics are soo cool! I hate missing out on the fun :<

    ReplyDelete