Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

February 17, 2010

Oh it hurts so good! Shannon

After a much needed rest day on Monday, yesterday I had 4 miles with hill repeats on the training plan, plus boot camp last night.

Diane decided she needed to do hill repeats too, so she met me, along with John, and we ran toward Granite Bay. I, of course, could not keep up with speedy Diane and John, but I scrambled behind them.

When we got to our designated hill. We took a drink and then headed up the hill. I was able to do 3/4 of the hill and then had to stop, while Diane and John continued up. I repeated this a 2nd time. After that, Diane asked me if I could make it up to the top. I said I dunno, I'm pretty winded by the 3/4 mark. She suggested I not push so hard and see what I could do.

So off I went at a nice and easy pace. I did it! I made it to the top in 2:07 (min:sec). Jogged my way down and then went for it again. This time I shaved one second off that - 2:06 - I'm feeling pretty proud of that 1 second shave off. Oh yeah, I'm rockin now. Ok, so now we only have time for one more, so I decide I'll push a little harder to see if I can shave another second off.

Drum roll please......I shaved a whopping 7 seconds the previous run - I did it in 1:99 - OMG! Oh ya, I'm doing the happy dance! I glided back down the hill. High fives were tossed around by Diane and John, who of course were waiting for me at the bottom of the hill because they are much faster than I am.

We then had to run back to our cars to get to boot camp on time. Again, I couldn't keep up with them, but that's ok, I'm feeling pretty good about that last hill climb.

Now comes Diane's kick ass boot camp. Once again, it's Tabata drills - aaaaahhhhhhh. Squat jump w/DB - 20 seconds, rest 10 sec. Push ups - 20 secs, rest 10. Toe taps - 20 secs, rest 10. Mountain climbers - 20 seconds, rest 10. Repeat 7 more times. OMG!! After hill repeats, I had nothing left in my quads for squats or mountain climbers. But I did what I could.

Then we moved to core work on the ball. Diane shows no mercy! Planks, reverse pikes (jack knife), side to sides, and crunch ups. I thought I was gonna die.

I was so tired by the end of class I wondered if I'd make it home before falling sleep. I did, thankfully.

I'm actually not too sore today (except for my shoulder), just tired. I didn't sleep well, even after all that. Woke around midnight and the rest of the night was fitful.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted today, so I'm taking a TURD (totally unscheduled rest day) today!

Tomorrow brings 8 miles and boot camp (last one) once again. Hope I can get enough rest tonight to survive tomorrow!

Enjoy the sun while it's here!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! Way to go!! That is fantastic! Your workouts rock by the way. You mention my running but lord, you're working hard all over the place! Nicely done Shannon. PS: Your Align is being shipped today. We had some mailing difficulty recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds brutal! Love the acronym TURD. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two will kick butt on race day. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a studette missy! I need to get my butt in gear this week to keep up with you when I get back!

    ReplyDelete