Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

February 26, 2010

Getting serious! Shannon

So this week I had resolved to get serious again as last week I ran into some obstacles, felt a little lazy, etc. Plus Pam was gone on vacation. So easy to slack off when your running buddy is far, far away.

I got in my hill repeats on Monday as rain was predicted for Tuesday, and sure enough it came in. Got in weight training and yoga Tuesday morning. Ok, I'm on a roll now. Then Wednesday morning rolled in and I hit my favorite button, SNOOZE, a few too many times and didn't make it to the gym - argh!

Wednesday night I spent 3 hours in a shoulder class at Kaiser to learn way more than I ever wanted to learn about the anatomy of the shoulder and impingement syndrome. The best part, it's curable, the worst part, it will take about 12 months to rehab - another argh!!! Now it's 9p Wednesday night and I'm in Roseville. My bedtime is 8:30p if I have any hopes of getting up at 3:45a to hit the gym. So by the time I got home and in bed it was close to 10p. No gym Thursday morning - great! ARGH!

So with 8 miles on the schedule for Thursday, what's a full time working girl suppose to do? Drag her hubby to the lake after work and squeeze out 4 hilly miles before the marina closes.

Those were the best 4 miles I've run in a very long time. It was gorgeous out there. No one was on the trail except for a couple of deer and a rabbit. I had the whole trail to myself, it was great. I decided to do the more technical route from the Marina out toward Spanish House, and I'm glad I did.

As I was coming back to the truck, Mark was already there, which he usually isn't, and as I got closer I figured out why. He had caught a beautiful rainbow trout. Here he is with it. The pic doesn't do the trout any justice. The rainbow colors in it were gorgeous.

Normally he catches and releases, but this one had swallowed the hook, plus apparently it had another lure in its tummy that it was battling with. So this was a mercy catch, and he will take it to someone who will eat it right up.

Tomorrow Pam and I are off for our last really long run before WTC. We're doing 24 miles in Granite Bay. It will be a long day, but I know we'll have fun. Now if Mother Nature will bless us with sunshine tomorrow that would just top it all!

Have a great weekend and get dirty!


  1. I was out on the trail Thursday between 4 and 6PM. Ran from Sophia to Spanish House and back. Must have just missed ya!~

  2. Well Mike since you are way faster than me, you were probably on you're way back when I started out. We probably just missed the cross over. Wasn't it awesome out there yesterday?

  3. so glad you had a good run at browns :) I hit the dreadmill last night for 4 mile hill repeats and wanted to hang myself by mile 3 :( so glad to be running trails tomorrow. hope we don't get soaked!

  4. Shannon, thanks for the invite and although I'd love nothing more than to get a good run in tomorrow I'm in total limpy gimpy mode right now and am even walking with a limp. Running is not an option. Just have to nurse this tendonitis or bursitis or whatever the heck is causing the pain and swelling in my knee so I'm out. Hope you guys have a great one!

  5. Wow, did that trout come out of that little stream? I've caught some 1 or 2lb'rs in little streams like that, but that thing is HUGE!

  6. No he didn't catch it in the stream, it was up further in the larger body of water we like to call Folsom Pond (Lake). :)

    The stream was where we were parked.

    It was a gorgeous fish!