Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

February 28, 2010

Going downstairs backward! Shannon

Yesterday's 24 miler was great. The rain let up 5 minutes after we started, and the sun came out as bright as ever before we were done. It was great.

However, we did have a very muddy run, which makes for a much more challenging run. We even hit puddles we couldn't get around, so we ran right through em. Running in wet fet isn't so bad, but I'd prefer not to.

Pam, Mary, and I started out from Cavitt Middle School in Granite bay and headed toward Rattlesnake Bar. As soon as we crossed over the road leading into Granite Beach is when the muddy puddles started and never let up.

When we hit the Twin Rocks, and the rain was gone, we called Jennifer to meet us at Sterling Point (she had wimped out on us because of the rain earlier). We weren't going to take no for an aswer.

Once we hit the base of Sterling Point we took a break while we were waiting for Jennifer. We were 9 miles in and my back started hurting me, nothing like when I was on K2, but more like it was just tight. So if I kept moving it was fine. I did my best to keep moving while we waiting. Once she made it down the hill we took off again and that's when we faced the biggest puddle/pond yet and the one we just couldn't get around. So run through it we did. Pam got some pics that she'll be posting later.

We hit our 12 mile mark and turned around. On our way back we went up to Sterling Point to fill our water bottles. At that point I took the oppportunity to change my socks. Ah that felt good. It didn't take long to get em wet again, but it was nice while it lasted.

Our return was much slower. Pam wasn't "feeling it" and my back was bothering me, but we shuffled through it. To help us keep our minds off the pain, etc. we were throwing out possible names for ourselves to have on t-shirts for WTC. Some possibilities thrown out were Ultra sluts, Single Track Shufflers, and one of our favs - Trail Turtles. We haven't decided yet, but I think we're sliding toward Trail Turtles - what do you think?

We made it back to our cars in 7 hrs. It was a long day, but we did have fun. I went home and took my epsom salt bubble bath and relaxed the rest of the day. My back was REALLY hurting, so I broke down and took a vicodin - I slept.

This morning I woke up in pain. Not only my back, but now behind my right knee. It's almost as though I pulled the muscle. GREAT! I'm suppose to go for a 9 mile hike with Pam and friends. Usually I feel better once I get up and move around. Yeah, didn't work. So I cancelled.

I am so depressed. The sun is out and I'm inside in pain. I am forced to walk downstairs backwards to help ease the pain. But I refuse to be kept down. I will go outside! I will attempt a short walk in the neighborhood with my nerotic little dog, Kika.

Thankfully, the mileage will now ease up because in 2 weeks, it's show time. I hope I don't feel this bad or even worse after an extra 7 miles. 31 miles her I come!

6 comments:

  1. Rough day out there for sure! Sorry to hear about your back. I am a big fan of ice/cold baths immediately (or as soon as possible) after runs like that. Even though you're cold inside already, the cold on the joints really feel good . . . massages too!
    The big run is over and now we just have Cool ahead of us. you can do it! Rest up. I can't wait to see Pam's pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trail bait is sticking on me.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Trail Turtles. It's fun to say and if you wanted to do a graphic the options are endless. I'm sorry to hear about your knee, ice it AT LEAST once a day.
    Boy, I sure hope you don't walk the dog in that outfit, poor thing. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Mike. No, we don't take her in public looking that. She'd be too embarrassed. This is her stay at home frock! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am a strong believer in ice baths for anything over 18 miles. To make it tolerable, I run a shallow lukewarm bath, make some hot tea, put on down jacket, hat, get a book/magazine sit in the bath & get used to it for a while. Call in my honey to dump 24 lbs of ice on me. He LOVES this part! Set the timer for 15 minutes. Drink tea, read & hope the time goes by quickly. Decreases soreness markedly.Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pain will subside. The warm feelings will grow. Keep at it. I'm rooting for ya!

    ReplyDelete