Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

January 31, 2010

Day 84/125 Shannon

What a beautiful weekend we are blessed with! I'm in heaven, unfortunately though, this afternoon I'm stuck indoors getting some much needed computer/paperwork done.

I struggled this week with my training, once again. I honestly believe that I'm suffering from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so this sunshine-filled weekend is doing me some REAL good!

A whole lot of FTR's met yesterday at Twin Rocks for a run. Some were doing just a short out and back, some a long out and back, and the rest a long point-to-point to Auburn Dam Overlook. Pam and I chose the long out and back as Pam has been suffering from bronchitis all week. We were scheduled to do 18, but we decided we'd take it easy and see how Pam was doing. We managed to squeak out 16.5 miles - YEAH PAM! I know we were able to do this because she and I took it real easy while we were out there. We took breaks, walked the hills, fueled properly, etc., etc. Pam took pics and I'm sure she'll be posting them here shortly.

We hooked up again this morning to push out 5 miles at Cavitt in Granite Bay. With yet another beautiful morning we had no problem out there! So pretty and unseasonally warm. I was actually able to start my run without gloves (although my hands were quite cold to begin with) and earwarmers.

I thought at this point in my training (84 days in) I would list what I have learned about myself and trail running (not necessarily in the order it's listed).

1. Gaitors are the best invention to trail running. I love my new gaitors from Dirty Girl Gaitors.
2. Eating brown rice pasta, with marina sauce, veggies, and garlic bread is the best pre-run dinner!
3. I need to eat every 4 miles! A homemade gel every 4 miles w/a drink of coconut water, gives me the energy I need to keep going.
4. On long runs, anything over 8 miles, I need to eat at least half a PB&J sandwich every 8 miles.
5. Epsom salts w/lavendar bubble bath is THE best post long run muscle recovery bath, oh and after one of Diane's hard bootcamp workouts too.
6. Do not go on a long run when your legs are extremely sore after a bootcamp workout.
7. I don't want running to be MY life, I want it to be PART of my life.
8. Trail running isn't about how many miles you can put in or how fast you can run them. Trail running is about finding the peace within you and enjoying the scenery. Having a really great running buddy makes that happen!
9. It's extremely important to stop on the trail and enjoy what you see! Take a camera, take pics, soak it in!
10. I can't afford this sport.
11. I'm glad I'm doing this, however, I will only train for a 50k once a year. I had hopes of doing Skyline to the Sea in April, but financially nor mentally can I afford it. We'll do it next year.
12. I have a dropped navicular bone in my left foot.
13. I have impingement syndrome in my left shoulder.
14. I may have a dropped bladder (not confirmed) which may be causing my need for multiple stops on the trail.
15. I have a very patient and understanding husband. I think I already knew that before this training, but it's been confirmed during this training.
16. Oatmeal is the best pre-run breakfast!
17. Arm warmers ROCK!
18. My new Nathan hydration pack is awesome!
19. I need a new camera!
20. And last but not least, I can't wait until Way Too Cool is done and over and I have successfully finished injury free and feeling like I want to do it again!

Enjoy the sun while it lasts!

Have a great week.

Stay dirty!

1 comment: