Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

January 5, 2010

1-5-10 Day 58 Shannon

Happy New Years!!!

Can you tell the novelty of the blog and the training is wearing off for me (less posting on my part)? I'm trying to find my enthusiasm again. Pam helps a lot with this. If it wasn't for her, I could find it quite easy to give up this whole crazy notion of running a 50K. Why am I feeling like this, you ask? Because I'm wiped out after last Sunday's 12 mile race.

I know part of my exhaustion comes from the fact that I hurt my back before the race, and I'm still feeling a lot of pain from that. I did see Dr. Steve last night and he worked his magic, and I do feel better, however, I'm still hurting. Getting out of bed this morning was extremely challenging. Not only does my back hurt, but my legs are sore as well.

Pam and I really focused on this race, per Diane's nudging :). We kept our chatting down to a minimum, kept our aid station stops to a minimum, and took no bathroom breaks. We both did good. I, however, lost steam during the 10th mile and could no longer keep up with Pam. She finished approximately 3 minutes ahead of me - I'm so proud! We both shaved off time from our previous race at Negro Bar - I shaved off approximately 13 minutes, and Pam shaved off approximately a whopping 17 minutes - you go girl!

I did manage get out of bed this morning, got to the gym, and got my 2 miles in on the hamster wheel and 1 hour of yoga. I will say that the run was a heck of a lot easier than yoga was this morning. I thought the run would be painful, but I was pleasantly surprised that my legs didn't hurt while running, nor did my back. During yoga though, I really had to modify a lot of the poses for my back. I was also feeling fatigued, so holding some poses became challenging.

Tonight, I'm going to the Snowshoeing 101 clinic being held at REI in Roseville. I know I'm going to find enthusiasm in this as I've never snowshoed before and we're getting ready to go snowshoeing this coming Sunday. I am excited about that.

However, we do have 14 miles scheduled on Saturday. I sure hope I'm not so exhausted that I don't enjoy myself on Sunday (although, I know that no matter how tired I am, I'll have fun with the FTRs, always do). I know Pam and I will take it easy on Saturday's long run, as we'll be running at Brown's Ravine, a trail we are familiar with, so we'll know where to take it easy and where we can let loose.

I have to keep the mindset of "that which does not kill me, only makes me stronger." Of course, that's easier said than done, when you feel like crap.

Here's to finding my 50k enthusiasm once again, and snowshoeing for the first time. WOO HOO!! I'm ready!

Get dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment