Shannon & Pam, after months of training, officially became ultrarunners with finishing Way Too Cool 2010 (3/13/10). They continue to run the long distances as they continue to challenge themselves physically & mentally. This is where they post those triumphs and also their tribulations.

June 14, 2010

Tahoe Rim Trail Training Run

It's been a long time since I posted...but Shannon made me promise to post after the TRT training run , so here goes. I started to get nervous about this run when I checked the website and it was suggested to bring traction devices and trekking poles.  So I decided to get some Yaktrax before Diane picked me up Saturday morning. I got a pair for both of us, but it turned out we didn't need them after all. Diane, Marc, Mike and I headed up Saturday morning to get acclimated. Diane scored a great condo in Squaw from a client and it was perfect for our weekend adventure. We headed up about noon, got to Squaw in the afternoon and hung out in the Squaw Valley resort area. The weather was gorgeous and we were surrounded by snowcapped peaks


 

 Resting the tootsies

While there, we ran into a guy that was filming a commercial for Squaw Valley, Mark Jennings, from  Passport to Adventure fame. He was a wealth of information on all things Squaw.  If you get a chance to see this show on PBS, watch it! Marc was asked to hold the mic while the shooting took place; he handled that job like a pro :) We headed off to dinner at a pizza and pasta place, then headed back to get ready for the next day.

The following morning, we were greated with incredible weather and a front row spot at the start.  The snow was pretty significant this year, so Dave C had to alter the course alittle bit, which took out about 6 miles. So, the plan was to get at least 20 miles up there. We headed out from Spooner Summit off Hwy 50 heading towards Spooner Lake. We hit the first aid station at about 5 1/2 miles. The trail took us through beautiful groves of Aspen trees.

 



We then headed down towards Spooner Lake and decided to go left to the famous Flume Trail.  Had to get through some water first


We then headed onto this famous trail..the views are unbelievable.  I can't describe it, so I'll just post the pics



Mike took some great pics, here's a link to those: Mike's pics
We did an out and back on the flume, heading back to Spooner lake and up the somewhat snowy hill (only place there was some moderate snow) and then back to the aid station. The options were to go up towards Snow Valley Peak, which was a 1400 foot climb, or go back the way we came. Diane's knee was giving her trouble, so she and I opted to head back.


The run ended perfectly with a spread of great food, yum!


This was such a great run! I was able to stay with my buddies most of the way, which is such a treat (cuz they're really fast). But I think they ran slow so we could all stay together :)  I feel a bit more prepared to do the 50K in July, but I know it's going to be the toughest run I'll do this year!

Very happy camper :)

Link to garmin info

2 comments:

  1. Great job Pam!! What a gorgous run!!! I wish I was joining you in July.

    We stay in Squaw all the time. We have a family "condo/week" at the Olympic Village Inn right next to Squaw Village. It's heaven and one of my favorite places on earth!

    I am so excited for your run in July!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get the notice in my email that you had posted - HHHHMMMMM :(

    It looks so pretty, wish I could've joined you. I'm glad you're feeling better about TRT.

    YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete